Our theme for 2021 is “Encountering the Divine Around the World“. We are reading books that feature gods and goddesses from various traditions and discussing how they show up in the narratives as well as how these stories compare with traditional lore, other tales, and our own experiences.
Taking us back to a time that is half history, half myth and wholly magical, bestselling author Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni gives voice to Panchaali, the fire-born heroine of the Mahabharata, as she weaves a vibrant retelling of an ancient epic saga. Married to five royal husbands who have been cheated out of their father’s kingdom, Panchaali aids their quest to reclaim their birthright, remaining at their side through years of exile and a terrible civil war. But she cannot deny her complicated friendship with the enigmatic Krishna–or her secret attraction to the mysterious man who is her husbands’ most dangerous enemy–as she is caught up in the ever-manipulating hands of fate.
Here are the rest of the year’s selections so you can plan/read ahead:
- April – The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd
- May – Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
- June – Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor
- July – Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
- August – Widdershins by Charles de Lint
- September – The Gatekeeper’s Bride by Eva Pohler
- October – Servant of the Underworld by Aliette de Bodard
- November – The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins
- December – TBD
We meet on the last Tuesday of each month on Zoom at 7:30 pm (give or take PST and technological issues). Find the link and RSVP now on our Meetup page. If this ends up conflicting with another COTE event or holiday, we will discuss alternate dates.
As always, feel free to come even if you have not finished, started, or heard of the book. Newcomers are always welcome!
See you in the ether!