Our theme for 2021 is “Encountering the Divine Around the World“. We are reading books that feature gods and goddesses from various traditions and discussing how they show up in the narratives as well as how these stories compare with traditional lore, other tales, and our own experiences.
February’s selection is City of the Plague God by Sarwat Chadda, available locally at Quail Ridge Books and used from Thrift Books.
Here are the rest of the year’s selections so you can plan/read ahead:
- March – The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
- April – The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd
- May – Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
- June – Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor
- July – Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
- August – Widdershins by Charles de Lint
- September – The Gatekeeper’s Bride by Eva Pohler
- October – Servant of the Underworld by Aliette de Bodard
- November – The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins
- December – TBD
We meet on the last Tuesday of each month on Zoom at 7:30 pm (give or take PST and technological issues). You can find the link and RSVP on our Meetup page. If this ends up conflicting with another COTE event or holiday, we will discuss alternate dates.
As always, feel free to come even if you have not finished, started, or heard of the book. Newcomers are always welcome!
See you in the ether!